Do you have something to say and love saying it? Do you write poetry and would you love to perform it to an audience?
Last year KeliAnne B became the first ever Portsmouth Poet Laureate. A new person will take up this role on 7th February 2012 and we are looking for a young poet or spoken word artist to work alongside them, encouraging and inspiring other young people to pick up their pens and microphones.
The Portsmouth Young Poet Laureate will be asked to create work to celebrate special events or occasions in the city, as well as perform at events in libraries, schools, festivals, and other community events. In return you will have opportunities to develop your own skills, including year-long mentoring with the Portsmouth Poet Laureate, work experience with poetry organisations and the chance to help programme and perform at festivals.
To apply you need to be aged between 13 and 19 and live, work or go to school or college in Portsmouth. You will need to submit an original poem or spoken word piece about Portsmouth, which you can send to us in a number of ways: paper, email, MP3, CD or DVD. Closing date for entries is Friday 20th January 2012. The winning entry will be chosen by a panel of judges including KeliAnne B, the Portsmouth Poet Laureate 2011/2012 and the incoming Portsmouth Poet Laureate 2012/2013. The first Portsmouth Young Poet Laureate will be announced in February 2012.
How to Enter
- You must live, work or go to school or college in Portsmouth.
- You must be between the ages of 13 and 19 on the closing date of 20/01/2012.
- If you are under the age of 16 we will also need to have the signed permission of your parent or guardian.
- Entries may be submitted by post or email. If you are sending a recording of you performing your entry (audio or video) we will also need a copy of the text in order to read the words. For postal entries: Dom Kippin, Literature Development Officer Cultural Services, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2AD. For email entries: email@example.com.
- Do not send us the only copy of your poem as we cannot return any materials submitted.
- If you have handwritten your entry please make sure we can read your writing.
- Your entry must be about Portsmouth.
- The successful candidate will be announced in February 2012.
Literature Development Officer
Civic Offices, Portsmouth, PO1 2AD
Tel: 023 9284 1667